Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Squid and the Whale


Have you heard about this movie? I can't wait to see it. Noah Baumbach helped write "The Life Aquatic" and made "Kicking and Screaming" (not last year's blockbuster about football) about 7 years ago, which is one of my favorite movies about life at a small liberal arts college. It stars one of my favorite actors, Chris Eigeman, who, like myself, went to Kenyon College. Baumbach also wrote a hilarious Tom Cruise send-up for the New Yorker recently, told from the point of view of Tom Cruise's dog (find it here: http://www.newyorker.com/shouts/content/articles/050725sh_shouts). He made two other movies. I haven't seen "Highball", but "Mr. Jealousy" is pretty poor. Anyway, this movie will most likely prove to be his breakthrough film, much like "Rushmore" was for Wes Anderson. Check out the trailer.

The Squid and the Whale (official website) --

http://www.squidandthewhalemovie.com/

2 comments:

Mr. T said...

G, Tim and Dan Ravine and I all saw it Saturday PM. Best movie I've seen this yeat. Brilliant. A must see.

gwb said...

I saw this with your brother. It went over much of the same territory as the Wes Anderson movies - particularly Tenenbaums - though all rather less subtly. Which of course isn't to say that its bad, by any means. But I found it difficult to watch.