Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Are you familiar with the Underground Church (NYC)?


Here's a photo of one of their worship services. I lived with Derek, the guy with the dreads in the background, all summer. Brit (one of the Underground Church's members and girlfriend of Pastor Austin, seen in photo moshing with the short red hair, suspenders, leg kicking, and right arm swinging), who has two crosses tattooed on either side of her neck and currently sports fuscia-dyed hair-do, told me non-nonchalantly that she "ministers to Satanists". I had never heard anyone say something like that before. Needless to say, I was impressed. Since I went through a Goth phase (even saw The Cure in concert twice, and Dead Can Dance once as well!), conversations with these Christians about the likes of Skinny Puppy and Miranda Sex Garden came pretty easy. They weren't as "into" my thoughts on total depravity, but God bless 'em. The Underground Church rocks! --JAZ

p.s., Apparently there is something in Pittsburgh of the same ilk, called the Steel Bridge Church (?).

This is Brit:

No comments: