Thursday, September 14, 2006

Reading list of the non-Calvinist, evangelical history of the Anglican communion (i.e., not Calvin and not Anglo-Catholic, reflecting Luther's primary influence upon the English Reformation):

J. B. Lightfoot - the Christian Ministry

Peter Toon - Evangelical Theology 1833-1856

Paul Avis - The Church in the Theology of the Reformers, & Anglicans and the Christian Church (esp. Chapter 15 on Julius Hare)

Henry Wace - Principles of the Reformation

Tyng - Lectures on the Law and Gospel

T. H. L. Parker - English Reformers

W. H. Griffith Thomas - The Principles of Theology

Hooker's - Learned Discourse on Justification

P. E. Hughes - Theology of the English Reformers

J. Atkinson - Martin Luther and the birth of Protestantism

Fitz Allison - The Rise of Moralism

--find these books, read them, circulate them. they represent and document that which has almost entirely been lost!--

8 comments:

Tom Becker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John Zahl said...

Dear Tom,

I appreciate your additions here, but they sort of run against the main purpose of this list. I wanted to establish that my own theological leanings (away from both Calvin and things Anglo-Catholic) are not alien to the history of the Anglican Communion (the church in which I am preparing to be ordained). That such thinking is historically rooted in the Anglican Church's past is a fact that seemingly few people are aware of, and, so, I posted this list of books that offer creedence to my position.

I dearly love the books you have mentioned, and think maybe we should start a great books list here on my blog, but this is not really the right post for such a list. Can you see where I'm coming from?

Thanks, John

mike burton said...

The Rise of Moralism by Allison was particularly helpful for me.

jacob smith said...

John,

This was a great book list. Tyng was actually St. George's former rector.

Jacob

Josh Hordern said...

I've got the Hughes and Griffiths Thomas (my Dad had them at Theological College back in the day) so I'll get on to them soon. Good work, JZ!

michael jensen said...

zSorry: I count Griffith Thomas a Calvinist!!

John Zahl said...

and what of the others?

Scott said...

I find many of these are very much Calvinist, which I agree with that theology whole heartedly, so thanks for the list. Martin Luther was among some of the greatest of Calvinist.